- Community
- Council Archives
- Environment
- Places
- Research
- Special Collections
Menu
- Community
- Council Archives
- Environment
- Places
- Research
- Special Collections
Joseph Barracluff
1861 - 1918
The Bondi ostrich farm owned by Joseph and Jane Barracluff was for many years Australia’s show ostrich farm. It was in the suburb now known as Dover Heights, and locals often called it Barracluff’s Hill. It met the high demand for extravagant feathers for ladies’ hats, boas, fans and necklets, which were made by a small number of female employees under Jane’s direction.
Joseph was born in England in 1861, and not much is known about Jane. They immigrated to Australia in 1884, and Joseph established himself selling feathers in a small shop in Elizabeth Street, Sydney. In 1889, the couple purchased a property on South Head to operate their own feather business, one of Australia’s earliest.
According to some reports, the couple imported the ostriches from Port Elizabeth in South Africa, but according to others, Morocco and Egypt were the source of the two pure ostrich strains, which the Barracluffs crossed to make a more vigorous hybrid bird. In 1902, the farm had a flock of about 100.
The high-profile farm attracted much attention and interest, which in 1901 culminated in a visit by HRH the Duke of Cornwall and York – later King George V – and HRH the Duchess of Cornwall and York – later Queen Mary. The Barracluffs presented the duchess with a gold-base ostrich-feather fan. Thereafter, they were permitted to use the words ‘Under Royal Patronage’ on their stationery. In honour of the royal visit, they renamed two birds who were the pride of the flock Duke and Duchess and used photos of them on the farm’s promotional postcards. The farm’s letterhead bore the Commonwealth of Australia insignia and the words ‘By Special Appointment to His Excellency the Governor-General and His Excellency the Governor of New South Wales’. The farm’s slogan was ‘Fine Feathers for Fine Ladies’.
Joseph was a Waverley Council alderman between 1909 and his death in 1918, was mayor in 1914–15, and founded and captained Waverley’s rifle club. He died at age 57 and was buried in Waverley Cemetery. Barracluff Park in North Bondi is named after his family.
Courtesy the Mitchell Library at the State Library of New South Wales, the Waverley Library Local Studies Collection and the National Library of Australia.




